It’s time to get started with your college search. Here are five tips to help you get off to the right foot.
• Start early. The more time you have to research colleges, the better your chances are of finding the very best match for you. Begin your search early in your junior year, or perhaps even before that.
• Break it down. The journey to college is a long way. Break up the task into different steps and that will make it easier. For example, you might start off the year making a list of what you’re looking for in a college.
• Get support. Talk with your high school counselor, favorite teachers, employer, clergyman, parents, and others in your circle who know you well. They may have some good ideas of schools to consider that you hadn’t yet thought of.
• Have some fun! Exploring campuses can be exciting. Give yourself time to check out fun things to do on campus, talk with current students, and get a feel for the place.
• Don’t be afraid to ask lots of questions. Do your research first by checking out the school’s website and other sources. But be sure to ask questions when you visit campus, research schools online, and meet with an admissions officer. Remember, you want to make sure the school will ultimately be a good fit for you so it’s important to get all your questions answered.