Applying for scholarships can be very time-consuming, but it’s well worth it in the long run. Sure there are lots of other kids applying as well, but there are many steps you can take to stand out from the crowd. Here are some easy steps to increase your chances of winning scholarships:
1. Get started now! The earlier you start looking for scholarships, the better your chances are. Many scholarships are available to students starting in their freshman year of high school.
2. Ask for help. Ask your high school counselor, favorite teacher, employer, and the financial aid office at the school you’re most interested in for tips on what scholarships they think you’d be the best fit for.
3. Keep a calendar. Be sure to keep all deadlines and scholarship rules and requirements organized in one place.
4. Check out your online profile. Be sure that any information that you share online – including on your Facebook and Instagram accounts – is something that wouldn’t put you in a negative light. Some admissions officers do look at these!
5. Don’t use the same information for each scholarship application. Look carefully at what each organization is looking for and personalize your response for each scholarship application.
6. Get a second look. Ask someone you trust to proofread your application, essay, and any supporting materials before you send them in.
7. Track it. Use certified mail or other tracking to confirm that the application arrived at the right place.