When you plan your college visits, do more than the standard guided tour and informational interview. After all, this is where you’re going to spend the next few years so you want to make sure it’s a great fit. Here are some fun ways to see if the school is the right match for you.
• Go to a party! There are often mixers and other events that prospective students are welcome to attend.
• Talk to an insider. Ask a current student what they like best and least about the school. Talk with them about the best way to get to know people on campus and what they would have liked to know before they arrived there.
• Be an observer. It’s easy to get caught up in running around campus. Get some quiet time to just check things out and see what’s going on around you on campus. Spending some time at the student center or local café is a great place to start.
• Do some digging. Look beyond the college’s slick website and do some research online. You’ll likely find all sorts of things, from YouTube videos to student reviews, that give you much more insight into what it’s really like there.
• Get involved. Passionate about a particular student group or civic organization on campus? Why not sit in on one of their meetings, or help them out for an afternoon and see if it’s a fit for you. It’s a great way to make friends, before you even arrive on campus.